Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Norman is Twice as Nice!

My office is downtown and everyday there is a lot of hustle and bustle happening just outside my window. Today, a lady walked in and asked for directions. I told her where to go and she went on her way. A little while later, I witnessed two people walking down the street towards each other. They realized that they knew each other and embraced. Apparently they hadn't seen each other in many years. They stood there for while talking, they exchanged numbers and went on their ways. Just now, I glanced out my window and Mike Hosty rode by on his bicycle.:)

My point is that Norman is a great town. I don't think you could just go anywhere and ask for directions or run into an old friend while casually walking down the street. While I don't necessarily want to live here for the rest of my life, I certainly will never forget it. I think that most people that come to Norman feel the same way. Something about this town is unforgettable. It makes me smile!

One more thing I love? I love my postal worker. His name is George and he comes in everyday to get our mail. He is pretty old and sometimes I wonder how he can stand to walk all around downtown. When I first started working he would come in and not say a word, just drop the mail with a grunt and leave. He did not look very happy. So I started to say "good morning" and "thank you" and "have a nice day" every time he comes in. Now he responds back and smiles! He doesn't even take our mail anymore just drops it off. The reason is because he is so old and slow that it takes him all day to gather the downtown mail so sometimes our mail won't go out until the next day. I just offer to take it for him(I can see the post office from our window). I think I might be his favorite person.

2 comments: